A hailstorm is one of the leading natural disasters and causes devastating damage to homes, vehicles, and commercial property nationwide. For Texans, hailstorms are a destructive reality. Texans heavily rely on property insurance coverage, and when insurance providers attempt to dodge responsibility for hail damage insurance claims, residents and business owners suffer deep losses.
Texas Hailstorm Law
In Texas, hailstorm damage claims must be filed within specific deadlines and statutes of limitation. Policyholders who do not timely file a claim or a lawsuit within the applicable time limits may lose their right to recover forever. While it may depend on the storm's severity and the location of the natural disaster, the Texas statute of limitations for filing a hailstorm claim is usually two years from the event date.
PROPERTY INSURANCE OFTEN COMES WITH HAILSTORM PROVISIONS THAT COVER A VARIETY OF DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE COST TO REPLACE OR REPAIR:
- A roof
- Trees and other landscaping
- Other structures on the property include garages, tool sheds, guesthouses, etc.
- A car, boat, or other vehicle
- Other items on the property
Hail Damage Insurance Claims
Our firm has successfully handled hailstorm cases in Texas where insurance companies have delayed, denied, and underpaid policyholders' claims. By law, bad faith practices by insurance companies are illegal, and your carrier can be held financially accountable in court. Insurance companies are acting in bad faith when they deny policyholders' rightful claims.
Bad Faith Insurance
A policyholder can file a bad faith insurance claim against their insurance provider. This claim keeps insurance providers accountable for the duty of good faith and fair dealing they owe to their policyholders. When a person enters an insurance policy with an insurance company, the policy binds both parties to contractual obligations. The policyholder has a duty of care to the carrier to make scheduled payments, and the insurance provider is responsible for good faith, under which it must honor the policy and credible claims against it. When policyholders are the only party performing agreed-upon contractual duties, the insurance provider has committed a breach of contract.
SOME COMMON EXAMPLES OF BAD-FAITH INSURANCE PRACTICES INCLUDE:
- Denying a claim without reasonis a common bad-faith insurance practice. Insurance companies are required to provide a basis for a claim denial. Often insurance companies give policyholders the runaround and either delay providing or never provide a reason for the claim denial, hoping policyholders will accept the loss and move on.
- Offering less than the claim is worth when compensating a policyholder for damages fails to honor the contract by undercutting the actual value of the loss. Policyholders trust insurance providers will pay appropriate compensation so necessary repairs may be made. Insurance providers exploit loyal policyholders when they attempt to retain profits by underpaying claims.
- Failing to perform a quality and adequate investigation of a claim is as damaging as denying a claim without reason. Insurance providers may conduct botched investigations and purposely not consider evidence to avoid paying a share entirely or to justify underpaying a claim. This is not only illegal, but it is also a waste of crucial time needed to make repairs.
- Misrepresenting the law or language used in the policy is a common intimidation factor used on policyholders. By misconstruing the law or the policy's contractual terms, insurance carriers can retain profits by dishonoring policies. By hiring an experienced insurance claim disputes attorney, insurance providers are held accountable to policyholders and must answer for their bad faith practices.
South Texas Hailstorm Lawyers
Texans are no strangers to severe weather. South Texas residents routinely encounter hailstorms, and for this reason, policyholders place a great deal of trust in their carriers. Policyholders expect insurance providers will abide by the terms of their policies. Our attorneys work tirelessly to ensure hailstorm damage victims are appropriately compensated by providing every carrier pays a fair claim value. If your property was damaged in a hailstorm, contact the Law office of Oscar Longoria today to discuss your case at no cost.